It is commonly known that I am an avid runner. Most mornings I can be found in Prospect Park here in Brooklyn. Sometimes I’ll just listen to music during a run, but more typically, I love to spend this time listening to podcasts. It’s one of the things I do for professional and personal development. This is my opportunity to glean knowledge and inspiration from a wide variety of sources. Afterwards, I feel refreshed, motivated, and prepared to tackle whatever the day throws my way.
As Emergenetics Founder Dr. Geil Browning points out in Emergenetics: Tap Into The New Science of Success, “The brain’s food is oxygen and nutrients, but the brain’s enrichment is education, reading, and life experiences.” We know that the key to keeping a mental edge is lifelong learning and getting out of your comfort zone. To help you do just that, I’m sharing my monthly podcast list—the things that help me to get out of my comfort zone and learn something new every day.
What I’m listening to this month:
- 92Y Talks – Q&A sessions and speeches from an NYC institution, the 92nd Street Y. They cover a pretty broad range of people and issues. Recently I’ve listened to Melissa Mayer (of Yahoo) and Questlove.
- Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders – Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business features incredible entrepreneurs and innovators. Most recently I listened to Liz Wiseman who presents insights from her books, “Rookie Smarts” and “Multipliers,” including frameworks and techniques for how entrepreneurs, leaders and employees can embrace a life of constant learning and build a passion for multiplying the genius of those around them.
- All Songs Considered from NPR – This is a great way to stay up on new music with super-eclectic picks. My favorites from a recent episode: Robert Plant’s new song and Rural Alberta Advantage
- Start Up Podcast – Alex Blumberg from Planet Money has created a business podcast on developing his business…which is a podcast network. It’s a very entertaining and well done behind the scenes look at starting a business in the 21st century
- Unmistakable Creative – I love this eclectic podcast on “insanely creative people” I’ve especially enjoyed the episode with Nolan Bushnell, founder of Atari. And, stay tuned to hear Emergenetics Founder Dr. Geil Browning on this in a few weeks!
- MIT Sloan Management Review – Features quick hits that touch on all sides of the business landscape.
- LDRLB – Shares insight on leadership, innovation, and strategy. And it’s done via great interview techniques. I have especially enjoyed Dean Schroeder’s interview on The Idea-Driven Organization.
- New Yorker Political Scene – Keeps me up to date on what’s going on in the world with great, in depth podcasts. Recently I enjoyed A Panel on the Middle East.
- HBR IdeaCast – Everything HBR puts out is great. Its an awesome, weekly pulse check on what you should be paying attention to as a leader and a business person.
This is my personal development plan. I’d love to hear yours. Connect with me on LinkedIn or tweet us with #PersonalDevelopment.